Are you Dealing with Stress on the Job?
Have you been feeling like you’re going to lose your marbles if you stay in such a stressful workplace? Most people will suffer on the job stress at some point. It is not unique to anyone, but what is, is how we each deal with it.
This article aims to provide you with some strategies so you can learn to deal with stress on the job, in a positive manner, and stop it from holding you back. When you can’t deal with stress effectively, you won’t be as effective or efficient on the job and, even more importantly, your health will suffer.
Here are some Techniques to Deal with Stress at Work
When you feel stress at work, you need to learn how to deal with your emotions so you can move forward. The bonus is, there are sevearl ways you can do this; you just need to find which strategy or technique works best for you.
Here are five stress on the job fixers!
1. One of the best things you can do when you feel the stress coming to boiling point is to stop what you’re doing and just breathe. Its actually pretty surprising how helpful this technique is. Who’d have thought breathing came with extra benefits. In fact, take ten slow, deep breaths, then get back to work. The great thing about this technique is that you can do it anywhere, even when you’re sitting in your boss’s office!
2. Take a moment to write it all down. Get the stress out of your system by finding a private place, a bit of paper and a pen and just write down your private thoughts for a couple of minutes. Go Hard! Free, uncensored writing for just a few minutes will get your stress off your chest and the emotions out of your mind for good. When you put all of the emotions down on paper, crumple it up and throw it away. (better to rip it into little pieces if you’ve been writing about someone at work!)Then ditch the paper and the stressful thoughts and get back to work.
3. Try using positive imagery. Keep a calming picture on your desk or as your computer screensaver (mine is of the Bahamas!)and when you feel like you’re going to lose it, stare at the image and see yourself there. If you do this for even as little as 30-60 seconds you can restore some sanity so you can move forward without the crippling effects of stress on the job.
4. Open your mind with some quiet relaxing music. Get out your ipod and put on some calm, soothing music – you will find that it has an almost instant effect. Keep the music quiet and peaceful, and make sure it is not a bother to co-workers and you’ll feel at ease during your work day. Music is a great way to find peace and lose the stress.
5. Use positive thinking. If negative thinking is getting the better of you, counter it with positive statements and thoughts. Say to yourself, things like, “I can manage stress because I proactively choose peace.” When you repeat positive sayings or affirmations in your life, you’ll be able to muscle out those negative thoughts and move towards the positive.
So, here you have five simple techniques to cope with stress on the job. The great thing about these tips are that you can quickly and easily integrate these strategies into your work day without allowing stress to overwhelm you and you will feel instantly better when you apply them!
Even working at DisneyLand is stressful! Almost every place of work has the potential to be quite stressful. Every day will bring new stressors into your workplace, and that is why you need to have several different coping techniques in your stress management toolbox. If you can find a way to intergrate these simple strategies into your working day, you will find life gets easier, you will be happier and more productive and your body and mind will be healthier for your effort.
If you utilize these strategies, I am sure you will experience better work days because you will now be equipped to easily manage on the job stress!